Summer Steam Sale

We're not just limited to WoW!
Kyliaar

Summer Steam Sale

Post#1 » 14 Jul 2013, 22:25

Anyone getting any good stuff? Anyone finding any surprising sleepers?

My indie recommendation of the hour is FTL - addictive spaceship strategy game.

Pretolkos
Raid Leader - Admin
Raid Leader - Admin

Re: Summer Steam Sale

Post#2 » 14 Jul 2013, 23:02

When I looked at FTL, they made it sound like I could be a level 5 shaman in my starting zone and then come across a level 93 raid boss, depending on how the dice fell. I could also make it to level 50 before that happened. Either way, death is permanent and I'd lose everything I'd been working for, through no fault of my own. That didn't sound appealing. Is it not as bad as all that?

The sale from Steam is ridiculously good. I'd say they're trying to get all of my money, but I don't have time for new games right now so I'm trying to exercise restraint. I've also heard that even better deals can be found during their Christmas holiday sale, so I'm hoping this isn't my only chance to pick some of this stuff up.

Kyliaar

Post#3 » 15 Jul 2013, 02:40

It is not as random as all that. You progress through sectors, think like progressing down levels of a dungeon.

If you get through each area as quick as you can, you are going to miss out on a lot of resources that will allow you to build up and prepare for ships at the next level.

It IS a game where the default normal level is tuned to be pretty darned hard. I got to the end of the game on Easy for the first time only to not be a match for the final boss, which you don't really know how to prepare for until you see it.

You may think, oh... WTF... got all the way to level 90 and got fucked over and now I lost everything? Each game can't really take more than 2 hours from start to end so it is like someone hacking your level 3 shaman and deleting it before you get out of the starting area.

Also, as you progress through the game, there are acheivements that you can unlock that give you different starting options, which I am sure some are more powerful than others or suited to certain play styles.

I am just really starting to get into it but towards the end of the game, you have enough options enabled on your ship that combat strategies can be and will need to be varied to adapt to what the game throws at you. At earlier levels, you can do all right by just ensuring your shields are more powerful than most of the enemies you are currently fighting.

Pretolkos
Raid Leader - Admin
Raid Leader - Admin

Post#4 » 15 Jul 2013, 06:07

Gah. This is why I asked. What I heard was technically true, but completely missing the point if we're only talking a few hours and not the months of building characters to get to the end game.

Thanks for the info and recommendation, Kyliaar. I'll pick this one up, as well!
Last edited by Pretolkos on 15 Jul 2013, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Raconlok

Post#5 » 15 Jul 2013, 11:59

So far I got good prices on Antichamber, Farcry 3, and Tomb Raider. Busy weeks ahead ...

Kyliaar

Post#6 » 15 Jul 2013, 23:42

I still have games I bought last year that I want to spend more time with.

For me, I look at the cost per hour of entertainment so buying a game for less than $10 that I will probably spend 5+ hours with at some point just seems like an investment.

Of course, that doesn't justify spending money you don't have.

Dillweed
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#7 » 16 Jul 2013, 00:53

Antichamber is SOO much fun. Really makes you think of different ways to play the game.

Raconlok

Post#8 » 16 Jul 2013, 11:24

I loved it. Beat it, could go back and try to figure out some of the more obscure puzzles still. Tomb raider pretty good so far, although I feel like the game takes away control a bit much.

Kyliaar

Post#9 » 16 Jul 2013, 19:59

Tomb Raider is about the only non-exclusive PS3 game I bought for my PS3. It was half off after joining PSN. I figured both were good deals.

I really, really liked it. One of the best action combat systems I've seen. The Batman: Arkham City is about the only that can beat it within the realm of action FPS third person action games.

I got a little tired of finding every damn little item though. I left my completion at like 98% or something. I should go back and play it on a higher difficulty at some point.

Edit: Not sure where I came up with the term action FPS to describe games that weren't FPS.
Last edited by Kyliaar on 17 Jul 2013, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kyliaar

Post#10 » 16 Jul 2013, 20:06

Just looking at what is currently up.

Alan Wake for $2.99 is a really good deal. I've never gotten extremely far in the game but it is a very well done survival horror.

The Secret World - haven't played but been waiting forever for a decent deal on it. $15 may be it, boys and girls.

Dishonored for $10.19 - seems like a good deal to me. I haven't spent much time on the game but it seems quality.

Sleeping Dogs - I have it through PSN and played it a little... similar combat to Arkham Asylum with less amazing acrobatics and gadgets. Probably a good value at the discount.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#11 » 17 Jul 2013, 00:09

I picked up XCom: Enemy Unknown which was an amazing game if you like Turn based RTS with a militaristic/sci fi feel. Its on sale on steam, 50% off... but still 19.99.

As far as great deals.... Deus Ex: Human Revolution for 2.99 was monstrous. I already owned the game, I bought it in 2011 when it came out for $50.... and I have the urge to play it again. But you are sinning if you didn't snag it for $2.99.

Bell and I both picked up the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II set with the two expansions. All three games for under $15... so me and him will be rockin that multiplayer action in the upcoming weeks. If anyone else wants in on that, let us know.

I picked up Terraria for $2.49... the game has a cult following and sandbox feel, like MineCraft... SNES graphics, but the gameplay is so undeniably fun and engaging, that it doesn't matter. That will be my time-sink game for when me and Bell aren't killing stuff, and raid is over.

Picked up Dust: An Elysian Tail for $7.49. Because I heard soooo many people ranting about how awesome that game was. So I watched about half a dozen Youtube reviews from credible sites like IGN and G4... and they ALL gave it amazing reviews. So that will be my time-sink after Terraria.

The newest Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2, MARS, Bioshock Infinite.... all look like pretty good deals. But I have never been much of a FPS, Post-Apocalypse, or Survival Horror game fan myself. If they go on Flash Sale for a good price I will probably get Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.
The Champ Is Here.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#12 » 17 Jul 2013, 00:18

Kyliaar wrote:Sleeping Dogs - I have it through PSN and played it a little... similar combat to Arkham Asylum with less amazing acrobatics and gadgets. Probably a good value at the discount.

I bought this game in 2011 when it first came out. I thought it was absolute shit. I have been a long time Square Enix fan, but I was really disappointed when I played this game. The combat is just soooooooo non-responsive. You feel like your guy is driving a forklift around a Ice Skating rink. In this day and age of high-flying faster than light kicks, punches, blocks, etc... that we have become so used to in games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Devil May Cry, etc... it's just too cumbersome to play a game where the combat is so... weighed down. The environmental kills (like slamming someone through a 500 gallon fish tank) were nice... but just not enough to flesh out the non-responsive combat. They made it even worse by staging all the fights like cheesey old Karate flicks...

A) Good guy stands in the middle.
B) Ten bad guys stand in circle around good guy.
C) One bad guy at a time steps forward for ass kicking.

I mean seriously... if you were like 7th, in that line of 10 guys... wouldn't you be like "Fuck this, lets all jump him at once!"

The plus side is that the voice acting was great. They hired actual Hollywood and Korean actors for the voiceovers.
The Champ Is Here.

Kyliaar

Post#13 » 18 Jul 2013, 03:13

Batman: Arkham City for $7.49. This is a great game. I definitely recommend it.

Arkham Asylum ($4.99) is also great and there is story continuation between the two. Arkham City feels very similar... there is just moar!

Arkham City is a much more open world. You can roam around, take side quests or just beat up henchmen groups for experience. You also get to play as other characters, which is fun. Combat almost feels like an artistic dance if you are taking on a group of melee or MGS-style stealth takedowns if they have firearms.

I've always been more of a Marvel fan, more than DC, but games like this make me think about travelling back in time to change that.

Return to “Other Games”