Skyrim

We're not just limited to WoW!
Darkrytez

Re: Skyrim

Post#16 » 15 Nov 2011, 16:21

i was thinking about doing just that ala. I really need to get a new video card to be able to run this at its true potential

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#17 » 15 Nov 2011, 18:11

Yes, the mouse has very low sensitivity to start. I had to turn it up about 30% more. Unfortunately the game does not give an option to eliminate the vertical sensitivity suppression. Many mods are starting to come out now, so I will be looking for one that fixes that.
The Champ Is Here.

Ninjapaws

Post#18 » 18 Nov 2011, 02:52

i would like to warn all of you Skyrim players....the game is defective and dangerous!

http://www.dorkly.com/article/27365/the-real-danger-of-skyrim

Darkrytez

Post#19 » 18 Nov 2011, 11:15

lol ninja you should see my desk right now. big ass sipper of green tea 2 empty bottles of mountain due cup of water and about 6 cans of copenhagen. not to include candy wrappers from the candy we had stashed after halloween.

Darkrytez

Post#20 » 18 Nov 2011, 11:15

oh and if you can get a xbox controller and play with it on the pc. so much easier and more "fluint"

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#21 » 20 Nov 2011, 00:33

Just finished the Winterhold College quest line. Staff Of Magnus is BEAST!

Im only lvl 23 still :-/ need to start grinding up some professions.
The Champ Is Here.

ScorpionX
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#22 » 20 Nov 2011, 00:50

I think I may have fucked myself...

Time to start reading some wikis...

Question: Do the mobs level up along with you? (become harder as your level goes up?) Or am I just MUCH further along on the side areas than I should be?

So I spent the first couple of days exploring and stocking up on gold and working my crafting/non-combat skills hardcore.

I feel completely stuck. I am level 26 but none of my combat skills are over 40 (most of the non-combat ones are MUCH higher) and I am getting OWNED in most of the dungeons I am in (currently in the Companions "Trial", not sure what it was called)

Anyone have any tips or general hints to help me out?

I'll post again later, if i can figure out a way out of this mess

And while the game looks amazing and is very cool, it still has some glaring problems.

Complaints:
1. The game almost feels TOO big... I have been playing for a few days and I have about 30 quests in my journal and all of 4! are complete. I was jsut starting to work on the first real plot quest (talking to the first Jarl) and i start drinking with a guy in one of the bars and end up on the far side of the continent! ugh...

2. The map BLOWS

3. Sure there are "favorites", but damn do i hate having to navigate multiple menus in the middle of a fight to switch from ranged to melee to casting/healing. And only 2 spells equiped at a time? really? (keybinds PLZ)

4. Friendly Fire. get the fuck out of my way

Captain Hammer: And these...
[Hammer holds up his fists]
Captain Hammer: ...are not the hammer.
[Hammer walks out of the shot momentarily then walks back in]
Captain Hammer: The hammer is my penis.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#23 » 20 Nov 2011, 09:34

ScorpionX wrote:I think I may have fucked myself...

Time to start reading some wikis...

Question: Do the mobs level up along with you? (become harder as your level goes up?) Or am I just MUCH further along on the side areas than I should be?

I feel completely stuck. I am level 26 but none of my combat skills are over 40 (most of the non-combat ones are MUCH higher) and I am getting OWNED in most of the dungeons I am in (currently in the Companions "Trial", not sure what it was called)

IMO -- Stop levelling your non-combat professions for now. You need to let your Combat skills catch up to your level before you get too high. To be level 26 and have NO combat skills above 40 is a good indication of why you are struggling. You should at least have 1 or 2 of the ones that "define" your character closing in on (or above) the 60 mark. I'm level 23 and my Destruction magic is 61.

Hard to give tips if we dont know what type of class you are playing?

I play a purely caster roll. Darkrytez plays a heavy melee role, so if you are heavy into melee, you may want to ask him. Ask Phrostbyte for tips if you are playing a sneaky Rogue type, as I think thats what he played as.

If you are playing a mage caster type, you really want to invest in the Alteration tree for your defensive capabilities... and obviously the Destruction tree for your offensive. Invest heavily in these areas first... then split off to pick up points elsewhere. The Alteration tree provides you with spells that act as armor against physical attacks... and even a perk that negates 30% of incoming spell damage. With a good alteration tree you will eventually have "armor" that is just as good as the best light armor in the game.

If you are a caster, you want to have a 2 to 1 ratio of Magicka to Health point distribution. You will need a bigger pool of magic to last through longer fights, but at least enough health to take 2-3 hits without dying, so you have time to heal or pot up.

As for gear, it may be tempting to wear light or heavy armor, especially if you say you are getting owned, but if you invest properly in the Alteration tree, you will be able to withstand damage with 0 armor. And believe it or not, for a mage, you should have 0 armor. You should be wearing robes, that give a huge boost to your Magicka regeneration, spell cost reduction, etc... and rings and necklaces that increase your Magicka pool or reduce spell cost. Start the Winterhold College quest line. By the end you will have recieved an amazing staff that is BEAST for use when your magicka runs dry, and a BiS Robe that gives 15% spell cost reduction to ALL schools, and +100% Magicka regen.

Don't be afraid to use pots on difficult fights. It is not uncommon to go through 8+ health/magicka pots fighting some of the more difficult enemies. Always have a good supply on you.

Pots to Always Have:
Fire Resist
Frost Resist
Shock Resist
Restore Health
Restore Magicka
Fortify Health
+Magicka Regeneration
+Destruction Effectiveness
+Restoration Effectiveness

Also, keep in mind that preparation is KEY to many of the "named" fights. If you are about to fight a hefty enemy... prepare your self. Conjure a Flame Atronach, Cast Stoneflesh, pop a +Magicka Regeneration pot, and make sure you have the right Shout/Power selected. Keep in mind, that not unlike WoW, the toughest opponent for a mage, is other magic users... you will come up against bastards called "Dragon Priests"... sometimes you have to just equip a mace and bash their face in melee style. Even if you don't have the point in melee combat, you should be able to stagger their spell casting with power swings, and use your defensive magic to keep yourself up.

On tough dungeons I will often have Healing in one hand, and Flames in the other hand. Channeling both while fighting a tough enemy does damage AND heals you constantly. It's a drain on your Magicka, so make sure you left off the buttons appropriately if you don't need one or the other. Also, the "Impact" skill in the Destruction tree is great for staggering (interupting) opponents.

Thankfully, there are some easy ways to level up your secondary combat skills...

To level Alteration, roam a dungeon or the open world until you hear the combat music playing, can see the red dots of enemies on your compass, BUT they don't attack you yet. Usually this happens in areas where you are elevated above the enemies, or you have ran so far away from the mobs you aggroed that they can't find you, but you are still in combat. Once you are in combat, but not being attacked... cast Oakflesh or Stoneflesh on yourself, over and over. This +armor Alteration spell levels up by being used in combat. Every 5-6 casts will level up your Alteration tree by one... though that number will increase as you get higher. Keep doing this until you have at least 50 skill in the Alteration tree. This will allow you to get 2/3 Mage Armor and at least 2/3 Magic Resistance.

To level Restoration, Dual cast Equilibrium AND Healing at the same time.... when your health gets too low, let off of Equilibrium until Healing catches up... then repeat. This will take longer to level up than Alteration, but you at least want to get to the point where you can pick up the Mana cost reduction for your Restoration spells and the +25% Magicka Regeneration perk.

I have to get to work, or I would share more. Let me know if you have any questions, and like I said above, Darkrytez and Phrosty are good resources for melee class questions.
The Champ Is Here.

Alrcari

Post#24 » 20 Nov 2011, 15:26

Raddak is my rogue and the fun of being a rogue is that every one wants to be your target...err "friend" ;P

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#25 » 20 Nov 2011, 18:11

For those of you that have played very far into the game I have a question. Are there any long term disadvantages of siding with particular factions besides the obvious Imperial vs. Stormcloak? I know some of the factions have disadvantages that make me avoid doing their quest chains. Like the companions. At first you are thinking "oh cool, i get to be a werewolf on command", but then you realize that (according to what I read) you have to find someone to kill and feed off of every night, you turn into a wolf uncontrollably between 9pm and 6am, and the wolf has stages of progression with worsening side effects like +100% damage taken from certain spells, etc... So to avoid the hassle, I just didnt join them.

What about the Thieves Guild... will it still be beneficial for me to do their quest line even though I am not playing a character that puts points in sneaking, lockpicking, etc... hell, I have never even stolen an item in Skyrim, for fear of the bounties, jail time, random attacks from guards, or stealing from someone I will need to be friendly with in a later quest. Long story short, I dont want any horrible Thieves Guild side effects like I get arrested any time I approach a Jarl or something.

Anyone?

The Champ Is Here.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#26 » 20 Nov 2011, 18:14

Alrcari wrote:Raddak is my rogue and the fun of being a rogue is that every one wants to be your target...err "friend" ;P

L2resize :-P
The Champ Is Here.

Alrcari

Post#27 » 20 Nov 2011, 18:50

Cremate wrote:
Alrcari wrote:Raddak is my rogue and the fun of being a rogue is that every one wants to be your target...err "friend" ;P

L2resize :-P

L2dealwithsteamhavingnoresize ;P

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#28 » 21 Nov 2011, 12:21

how much does skyrim cost per month to play?
-------- Stormrage - Alliance
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Zadey (90) / Annabark (92) - Retired
-------- Bleeding Hollow - Horde
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Alrcari

Post#29 » 21 Nov 2011, 12:29

Bellarionna wrote:how much does skyrim cost per month to play?

It doesn't, its a stand alone RPG. Just need the initial cost of the game, which is around $60 depending on the version you buy.

Alrcari

Post#30 » 21 Nov 2011, 12:38

Cremate wrote:For those of you that have played very far into the game I have a question. Are there any long term disadvantages of siding with particular factions besides the obvious Imperial vs. Stormcloak? I know some of the factions have disadvantages that make me avoid doing their quest chains. Like the companions. At first you are thinking "oh cool, i get to be a werewolf on command", but then you realize that (according to what I read) you have to find someone to kill and feed off of every night, you turn into a wolf uncontrollably between 9pm and 6am, and the wolf has stages of progression with worsening side effects like +100% damage taken from certain spells, etc... So to avoid the hassle, I just didnt join them.

What about the Thieves Guild... will it still be beneficial for me to do their quest line even though I am not playing a character that puts points in sneaking, lockpicking, etc... hell, I have never even stolen an item in Skyrim, for fear of the bounties, jail time, random attacks from guards, or stealing from someone I will need to be friendly with in a later quest. Long story short, I dont want any horrible Thieves Guild side effects like I get arrested any time I approach a Jarl or something.

Anyone?

I've been trying to find this information myself. I know that certain factions open up crafting choices that aren't part of the generic drops you get. Here's some of the information I found:

The main factions that the player can join are:

Bards College — A guild of musicians, based in Solitude.
College of Winterhold — A guild dedicated to the study and practice of magic and based in Winterhold. They are similar to the Mages Guild in previous games.
Companions — A guild of mercenaries, dedicated to combat, based in Whiterun. They are similar to the Fighters Guild in previous games.
The Circle — The most trusted and accomplished members of the Companions.
Dark Brotherhood — A secret guild made up of professional assassins.
Imperial Legion — The military power of the empire, they seek to maintain Imperial control of Skyrim from their base in Solitude.
Stormcloaks — The main organization of rebels in Skyrim's civil war, they seek Skyrim's independence from the Empire. They are based in Windhelm.
Thieves Guild — A secret guild dedicated to professional thievery, based in Riften.
Nightingales — A cabal of the Thieves Guild's top members that serves Nocturnal and protects her shrines in Skyrim.

And this was a link to all of the factions in the game plus the lore behind them: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Factions . I also found an interesting post about how to join every faction in Skyrim at: http://segmentnext.com/2011/11/12/skyrim-guilds-guide-how-to-join-every-guild-in-elder-scrolls-v/

Based on reading that and my conversation with Darkrytez, it sounded like you could be all of them.

Hope it helps,

- Al

Return to “Other Games”