need a new router

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Vensus

need a new router

Post#1 » 21 Jan 2013, 11:08

i've been having internet issues lately with having random d/c's or internet drops from my modem this past week and what i'm thinking is that maybe since my router is about 3-4 years old or more it's finally at it's breaking point and isn't connecting with the modem in terms to why my modem d/c's or drops and reconnects? since my modem is only 5-6 months old since i bought it i highly doubt that's the issue seeing it's rated a very great modem for my isp provider and such.

if anyone knows of a great router on the market (non wireless and supports 4 open ports) that'd work out with my isp and modem too that'd be very awesome and i'd be very thankful for the help. my isp is comcast of course and my modem is a Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and then the router i'm using atm is a LINKSYS BEFSX41 Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint.

also this is off topic but seeing how comcast around my area is very lazy and useless half the time, would anyone know how to read my modem logs to give me an idea of what seems to be the issue? if so i'll post em from what i have saved from posting to a tech site over the week and todays, ect.

again at this point any help is very welcome.

edit: i was told NETGEAR WNDR4500 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Open Source Router is pretty good for todays market and runs with out issue, only thing i read so far on it is some people had issues with corrupt firmware at a point which can be solved with out much issue. don't plan on using the wireless and keep that turned off though if i get this. still would like some other suggestions or help with reading modem logs.

Return to “Open Discussion”