some system upgrades...

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

some system upgrades...

Post#1 » 10 Mar 2013, 22:44

I'm thinking about spending some of my birthday money (assuming i get some next week) to beef up my computer... I can't really afford a new rig, so I was looking at possibly just upgrading the video card and memory...

Thoughts?

Currently running an ATI 3850 at 512M... Will be the last ATI card I ever purchase as they've been nothing but problems for me. I also currently have 3g of Ram, and the system max'es out at 4g

Video Card = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121639

Memory = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231207 (if I need to replace all to get to 4gb (max))

or

Memory = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231170 (if i need to just add one more to max out as I already have 3g... going to have to open to case to take a look, i cant remember)

again... any input would be great.

If I can get it all for under $100, i think i can pull it off... Any lower and that's good too...

I've been having some massive in-game lag / video pixels and massive lag when using any other program (firefox, curse, etc) while in-game...

Is it even worth the money, am i going to see a huge improvement?

Here is a list of my system stats:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz 5.9 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB 5.9
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series 6.9
Gaming graphics 1791 MB Total available graphics memory 6.9
Primary hard disk 167GB Free (456GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Enterprise

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron 530
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB
Disk partition (C:) 167 GB Free (456 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (10 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Total available graphics memory 1791 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1279 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.970.100.3000
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.
-------- Stormrage - Alliance
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Zadey (90) / Annabark (92) - Retired
-------- Bleeding Hollow - Horde
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Re: some system upgrades...

Post#2 » 10 Mar 2013, 22:50

I also thought about throwing in a SSD drive to perhaps just keep my OS on for speed of processing

Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20-171-667
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#3 » 11 Mar 2013, 01:04

If you are considering a GPU, Memory AND an SSD, I BEG of you to watch the following video...

What Bell Should Do

Your processor is absolutely ancient, and putting a 2GB GPU that coreclocks at 810mhz on it is going to bottleneck your performance big time. You probably wont even see a difference. I looked at the PassMark benchmarks for your system, the pieces you want to get, and the pieces talked about in the video I linked for you... and basically, the system in the video I linked you would be a MASSIVE upgrade for you. If you got the system in the video, for a mere $100 more than you would spend on your proposed upgrades, you would literally quadruple your PC performance.

In fact, if you kept your current case and power supply... you could slide some of the cash into 8gb RAM while still coming in under $250.

THEN... SimCity will come alive!!!!

But since you are probably pissed that I keep prodding you to get a new PC... I will simply finish with an actual response to this thread: "Those upgrades aren't bad, but I dont think you will see much of an improvement."

The Champ Is Here.

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#4 » 11 Mar 2013, 09:40

well, the video is "cool" but i think i could do better for the money... as i wouldn't need a case, harddrive, power supply, dvd, etc etc

And he clearly states he has to play high end games at low settings.
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#5 » 11 Mar 2013, 10:41

Bellarionna wrote:And he clearly states he has to play high end games at low settings.

Well yeah... Battlefield 3 is particularly referenced. But thats like the newest fast paced FPS shooter that is used to benchmark most GPUs because of how graphicly intense it is. I don't think you would be able to load the game with your current card. But you are right, since you already have certain pieces, you could divert that money into a tad bit more RAM or a slightly better GPU.
The Champ Is Here.

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#6 » 11 Mar 2013, 14:57

Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#7 » 14 Mar 2013, 12:34

I want you to get a new computer so bad (so we can tear up some Sim City in a few weeks) that I will buy that motherboard for you. Mostly out of a repayment for the item you sent me in via FedEx today which saves me a bunch of money (thank you, btw)... and partly out of pure selfishness to avoid the inevitable bitching that will ensue when these games start giving you graphical issues (like Diablo 3 did).

Then you can divert $30 of the motherboard cost into a GTX 650 which is nearly 3 times better than the 630 you selected. The other $30 you save can come right off the top of your total build cost so it's easier to persuade the wifey.

By the way, make sure you are using the PassMark Benchmark site as reference for your CPU and GPU choices. They are the most trusted source for telling you the performance capabilities of all of the processors and video cards. Look at the difference in performance between the GTX 630 and the GTX 650. And the 650 I linked you above is only $30 more.

P.S. This offer expires in 3 weeks! :P
The Champ Is Here.

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#8 » 14 Mar 2013, 14:50

The mobo I listed only has a pci-e 2.0 and that card is a 3.0. it will work but will I lose performance? Should we seek out a mobo that runs a pci-e 3.0?
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#9 » 14 Mar 2013, 21:05

Cremate wrote:I want you to get a new computer so bad (so we can tear up some Sim City in a few weeks) that I will buy that motherboard for you. Mostly out of a repayment for the item you sent me in via FedEx today which saves me a bunch of money (thank you, btw)... and partly out of pure selfishness to avoid the inevitable bitching that will ensue when these games start giving you graphical issues (like Diablo 3 did).

Then you can divert $30 of the motherboard cost into a GTX 650 which is nearly 3 times better than the 630 you selected. The other $30 you save can come right off the top of your total build cost so it's easier to persuade the wifey.

By the way, make sure you are using the PassMark Benchmark site as reference for your CPU and GPU choices. They are the most trusted source for telling you the performance capabilities of all of the processors and video cards. Look at the difference in performance between the GTX 630 and the GTX 650. And the 650 I linked you above is only $30 more.

P.S. This offer expires in 3 weeks! :P

Quoting this so Cremate cant edit out the offer of buying me a motherboard...
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Dotmatrics

Post#10 » 16 Mar 2013, 22:26

Just throwing my 2 cents in, Cremate is completely correct. There isn't an upgrade decent enough to justify any expense for your current rig. Also, I lol'd hard at your quote of his offer. Though you could also edit the quote to add a reach around or whatever you wanted. Hardly an exact forensic replica.

Ffran
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#11 » 18 Mar 2013, 11:01

I'd suggest to only replace your graphic card for a radeon HD 5700. It'll cost you almost nothing and will change everything.

<3

Ffran
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#12 » 18 Mar 2013, 11:16

only thing is to make sure to install ATi catalyst software but uninstall it right away as the card is great but the software is crap. windows drivers FTW!

Gifted

Post#13 » 20 Mar 2013, 04:25

Ffran wrote:only thing is to make sure to install ATi catalyst software but uninstall it right away as the card is great but the software is crap. windows drivers FTW!

What do you mean? What makes it so bad? Would uninstalling ATi catalyst software also uninstall the drivers? What do you mean windows drivers?

Many questions because I was wondering if removing ATi catalyst software would affect the performance in anyway.

Thanks

Ffran
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#14 » 21 Mar 2013, 13:20

It's bad because it uses extra resources to "manage" display properties that are already taken care of by windows. Plus it does it poorly and no it wont remove drivers.

Ffran
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#15 » 21 Mar 2013, 13:22

Gifted wrote:
Many questions because I was wondering if removing ATi catalyst software would affect the performance in anyway.

Thanks

It should improve the performance.

Return to “Open Discussion”