Gaming Laptop Options

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Mahlaa
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Gaming Laptop Options

Post#1 » 15 Sep 2013, 18:36

Looking for some gaming laptop ideas and options.

I have always raided on a desktop so this in new ground.

For now, $$$ is not a limiting factor; looking for a strong platform that I can take on the road and raid from either a hard connection or wifi (ugh).

Thanks -- Mahlaa

Nyonjia

Re: Gaming Laptop Options

Post#2 » 15 Sep 2013, 20:44

I think at this point Asus and MSI are your only real options for gaming laptops. Alien ware is much more flashy lights than it is performance or longevity. Xyon and I both have msi laptops, they have both broken within warrantee and their customer support was quite good. But our friend with an Asus hasn't had to return theirs ... Your mileage may vary. :)

Buy

Post#3 » 15 Sep 2013, 22:00

What Nyo said. I was recently researching gaming laptops and both of these seemed to be the best options. I ended up building my own desktop though.

hybur

Post#4 » 15 Sep 2013, 22:14

An Asus G74sx or of the like. Great gaming laptop and served me well while not being at home on the desktop

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#5 » 16 Sep 2013, 01:24

Bell and I were just discussing this the other day for a client. Though since money is not really a factor for you, the recommendation will be a bit different.

This HERE is in my opinion one of the best value for the money buys you can get.

4th Generation I7 = Newest (Haswell) Intel processor. Handsdown, the best LGA1150 socket you are going to get into a laptop. 4 Physical cores and 4 Logical cores, multi-threaded for a theoretical 8 core performance.
ROG (Republic of Gamers) = ASUS' beast line of amazing gamer tailored products. Nuff said.
2GB Dedicated GPU = Utilizing the newest line of 700 series NVidia GPUs... This in particular is the 765m model, which is a step above baseline, and performs as well as last generation's factory overclocked 670s. The Cuda Cores in a 760/765m are equivalent to what they were using in last generations 680s, with the same chip footprint. Crazy technology.
USB 3.0 x 4 = Newest Gen peripheral connection capabilities at 6x the speed of USB 3.0
12GB Ram = Plenty of Horsepower for your needs, though I will need to look up the speed (probably 1688, but could be 1800 since it's an ROG laptop)

Not to mention HDMI output, Digital Media Card Reader, 1TB HD, Bluetooth (though thats pretty standard nowadays), 17 inch screen, etc...

The only thing thats not superb on this laptop is the 5400 speed on the DVD-ROM... but that's not a big deal, seeing as optical drives seem to be a fading past time.

Now, if you wanted to top this laptop... and go all out... there is always the NEXT STEP UP. This bad boy is sporting a 256GB Solid Sate Drive that would make your boot time and program loads rival most current desktop PCs. It's also got a dedicated 3GB 770m GPU, which performs better than factory overclocked 680s... which is saying a lot. But honestly, at $600 more than the laptop I linked above, I don't think its worth the extra coinage. But the choice is yours.

Let me know if you have any questions or need an extra opinion Mahlaa, I love to talk "shop" on computers.
The Champ Is Here.

Nyonjia

Post#6 » 16 Sep 2013, 03:05

I want to state categorically that SSD's are well worth the money. If money is no object, ensure your purchase includes one.

Tiziana
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#7 » 16 Sep 2013, 06:25

For your consideration:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

I will look for you in game to detail why : )

Robertomagma
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#8 » 16 Sep 2013, 07:12

Cremate wrote:Bell and I were just discussing this the other day for a client. Though since money is not really a factor for you, the recommendation will be a bit different.

This HERE is in my opinion one of the best value for the money buys you can get.

4th Generation I7 = Newest (Haswell) Intel processor. Handsdown, the best LGA1150 socket you are going to get into a laptop. 4 Physical cores and 4 Logical cores, multi-threaded for a theoretical 8 core performance.
ROG (Republic of Gamers) = ASUS' beast line of amazing gamer tailored products. Nuff said.
2GB Dedicated GPU = Utilizing the newest line of 700 series NVidia GPUs... This in particular is the 765m model, which is a step above baseline, and performs as well as last generation's factory overclocked 670s. The Cuda Cores in a 760/765m are equivalent to what they were using in last generations 680s, with the same chip footprint. Crazy technology.
USB 3.0 x 4 = Newest Gen peripheral connection capabilities at 6x the speed of USB 3.0
12GB Ram = Plenty of Horsepower for your needs, though I will need to look up the speed (probably 1688, but could be 1800 since it's an ROG laptop)

Not to mention HDMI output, Digital Media Card Reader, 1TB HD, Bluetooth (though thats pretty standard nowadays), 17 inch screen, etc...

The only thing thats not superb on this laptop is the 5400 speed on the DVD-ROM... but that's not a big deal, seeing as optical drives seem to be a fading past time.

Now, if you wanted to top this laptop... and go all out... there is always the NEXT STEP UP. This bad boy is sporting a 256GB Solid Sate Drive that would make your boot time and program loads rival most current desktop PCs. It's also got a dedicated 3GB 770m GPU, which performs better than factory overclocked 680s... which is saying a lot. But honestly, at $600 more than the laptop I linked above, I don't think its worth the extra coinage. But the choice is yours.

Let me know if you have any questions or need an extra opinion Mahlaa, I love to talk "shop" on computers.

I can co-sign on the ASUS rig, I have the previous model (G75) and it's amazing. There were a few driver issues, but I hear they've been fixed with the new G750. I'd recommend shopping around for a model without the included SSD and memory and add your own of your choosing later. Check the specs too, there are a shit-ton of configurations sold by different retailers.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#9 » 16 Sep 2013, 08:33

Tiziana wrote:For your consideration:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

I will look for you in game to detail why : )

Mahlaa, it's a trap!

lol, I love you Tiz, but if you make Mahlaa spend $4000 on a laptop for a Chrome Car paint job and Fingerprint technology I will never forgive you, lol. Don't get me wrong, It's "nice" to have 2 x 765m in SLI... but it's complete overkill for gaming. Maybe if you want to set up a triple monitor display for professional video creation and encoding... but then again, who is buying a laptop just to hook up 3-4 dekstop monitors? And the i7 4800mq processor only benchmarks 6% higher than the i7 4700. Now, the dual hard-drive capabilities are nice... SSD + HDD... but that option is also available for $2000 less elsewhere.

I digress, if money is absolutely a non-factor... as in Gold Toilet Seats and Platinum Plated shoe horns... Tiz does present a decent option. But it's literally 1000s of dollars more for options you will most likely never actually use or need.

<3 Tiz!
The Champ Is Here.

Mynnahok
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#10 » 16 Sep 2013, 13:20

My macbook pro is the best windows machine I've ever had using bootcamp (runs windows natively not a VM) for games and then i get just a better machine for the osx side

Mahlaa
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#11 » 16 Sep 2013, 17:04

Thanks for the feedback, ides, and options. Next phase is for me to do some research on the options provided and decide what will work best for me.

Mahlaa

Dethstalker
Mythic Raid Leader
Mythic Raid Leader

Post#12 » 16 Sep 2013, 17:40

Mahlaa wrote:Thanks for the feedback, ides, and options. Next phase is for me to do some research on the options provided and decide what will work best for me.

Mahlaa

If you have Falcon NW money you have more money than you need! Buy two and send me one! :lol:

Mahlaa
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#13 » 16 Sep 2013, 18:03

Wealth redistribution Death . . . Did not have you pegged for a far left-wing, bleeding heart, Hollywood liberal :p

Dethstalker
Mythic Raid Leader
Mythic Raid Leader

Post#14 » 16 Sep 2013, 18:06

Mahlaa wrote:Wealth redistribution Death . . . Did not have you pegged for a far left-wing, bleeding heart, Hollywood liberal :p

Hahahahaha... /cry... hahahahaha

Look what you did... you are just toying with my emotions now! :lol:

Pippilongear

Post#15 » 16 Sep 2013, 18:35

Mahlaa,

I have this RoG

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/

Overall it's fine as a gaming laptop, not stellar but doable. I run a ton of addons, logs, etc... during raids and I still get junky-ish fps (20 fps or even lower during heroism / intensive phases on "Good" graphics setting). I can run at ultra for 5m and 10m content but 25m really bogs it down.

Edit: on that note, i was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good guide to maxing my laptop's performance. I am going to get a dedicated desktop for gaming soon but in the interim I'd like to push a bit more out of my laptop since some of the siege fights are a real molasses-fest.

I like it because its portable but it's a beast (meaning it's huge and weighs a ton). I feel like i rewound time and am back in the early 1990s with a massive laptop (the back end is almost 4 inches high). It would probably be less expensive to get 2 nice gaming rigs for home and office for the cost of this laptop so if you only have limited areas where you plan to game that is another consideration.

Return to “Open Discussion”