Two tech problems 1 PC

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: Two tech problems 1 PC

Post#31 » 16 Oct 2016, 19:53

Alright, I don't want anyone to think they've been ignored, but I have had a chance to think about things, so I want to speak my mind.

I think we've gone from 2 problems, to 3, to 1. I'll explain the math, trust me it makes sense.
Problem #1: Random hardlocks
Cause of the Problem: Heat
Solution: New CPU cooler
Proof it is solved: Since the CPU's temp dropped over 10 degrees it hasn't hardlocked.
Problem #2: Blue Screen of Death
Cause: Memory problem
Solution: None found yet
Known areas cleared: Hard Drives and Ram
Suspected problems: Motherboard, TV Tuner Card

Problem #3: Virtual Windows XP
Cause Of the Problem: New Hard Drive, and Win 7 not doing things right
Solution: Going with a real version of Windows XP
Yup, I did some digging online, found out how to install Win XP on an all SATA system, and to top it off, I've done duel booting before.
I have been in touch with ASUS, so far they aren't being very helpful in the sense of tech support. Haup, I'll contact later this week try to set up a test later next week. I will be working a 60+hour one this week, so be advised I might see posts, but I am not trying anything until say October 24th.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#32 » 18 Oct 2016, 21:18

Looks like WoW just got an innocent card from being blamed from BSD. I was upstairs, and the computer crashed while recording a TV show.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#33 » 06 Nov 2016, 13:05

As always I am tinkering on this problem, and two developments.

I found one of the ram sticks I have was loose, possible source of the problem?

When working with Windows Media Center, it got set back to default settings for recording. I.E Program is on C:, and records to C:. Thing is I did a raid with vent, as it recorded like this, and no lag, no crashes, was 110% perfect.

Theory: While the program & motherboard & TV can handle recording a show to C:, asking for the program to reside on C: but record to E: or F: causes the memory problem.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#34 » 25 Dec 2016, 13:40

Alright guys, I am still having problems, hitting a juncture here, and I could use an outside set of eyes.

The hardlocking is so bad I can't play WoW for 30 minutes without my machine jamming up and me having to reboot it the old fashion way. Even when the computer does genetic testing it's hardlocking, so WoW and the turner card are off the list as the cause of the problem.

I could RMA the CPU, MB, and video card to their respective makers and say "fix me".

I could also try official QVL ram, thing is I am looking at a cost of $150-$300 for ram amounts equal to what I have or more.

Open door time here people.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#35 » 26 Dec 2016, 07:00

So much for the easy fix, WoW crashed after 15 minutes, jammed up like jam left outside in -32 weather.

Doing a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#36 » 29 Dec 2016, 14:05

As some of you know I'm still hammering at this problem, the good news is I had two major breaks in a good sense.

1) Thanks to a fat cat who was going to the dog house, I have a separate XP installed on my PC.

2) After running Prime 95. I hit the following: [Dec 29 13:31] ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT
[Dec 29 13:31] Possible hardware failure, consult readme.txt file,

Which fits everything, since the CPU isn't tested during ram or hard disk scans, it only makes sense that it wouldn't turn up as a possible problem. Everytime it has crashed the computer has had to rely on the CPU doing it's job.

Now I just need to hope the CPU is under warranty.

Return to “Open Discussion”