My own thoughts on Legion

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

My own thoughts on Legion

Post#1 » 16 Sep 2016, 15:12

As some of you know I was working on a review for the Legion XP.

Now I am not going to C&P here, but instead provide a link to it. Enjoy.:)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/179718-world ... ews/163110

Dillweed
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: My own thoughts on Legion

Post#2 » 16 Sep 2016, 15:43

I feel like 1/10 on the music is WAY too harsh and a little ridiculous to rate it so low. Yes it is not the best overall soundtrack we have ever seen, but some of the zones have some great tunes.

Sonick
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#3 » 16 Sep 2016, 16:01

As a music education major back in my college days and a life long musician, I will just say I kindly disagree =) I personally can't take a review seriously that would give something a 1/10 that doesn't hands down deserve it. No offense.
Retired AM Team Raid Leader
Battle.Net: Sonick#1178 / Discord: Sonick#7560
My Twitch Stream - Druid - Warrior - Hunter

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#4 » 16 Sep 2016, 17:56

You write/type too much and a few grammatical errors... both made it insanely difficult to read... should have went with a:

TLDR: Good game, don't care for the music, buy it
-------- Stormrage - Alliance
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Zadey (90) / Annabark (92) - Retired
-------- Bleeding Hollow - Horde
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#5 » 16 Sep 2016, 18:35

I want to remind people briefly, that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong.

I blame Microsoft Word for letting any grammatical/spelling errors slip by. Bad Word, Bad.

I've played games like Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Mordor, Chrono Trigger, ect. RPGs set in a fantasy world. I know they aren't filled with music closer to my preference (or as others call it insanity. What can I say I like 80s rock and bag pipe music) view point of good music. I also know I am used to a sense of . . . epicenes to the music associated with games of this type. Think about it as the brave hero goes off to war, or the villain plots to take over the world. I think the start of WOD when you enter it had good piece there.

It's hard for me as a reviewer, when 5-10 minutes into playing WoW, I want to pop on recorded TV shows or DVDs for background noise because how bland I found the music.:( I know if I did to an edit, maybe a 2-3. Nothing really great to write home about either way.

Sonick
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#6 » 16 Sep 2016, 19:53

So in other words, it isn't that the music was bad, but more not your taste? I can completely understand that. But then why review the music aspect of it? There is a big difference between you not liking the style of the music and it truly being 1/10. Again, not bashing you... I could never sit down and write something like that so kudos. I am just passionate about music, it has been my life for 26 years, and stuff like this tends to bother me. It's sorta like when people say Justin Beiber's music is shit. Well, it's not. He's made millions of fans and dollars with his music. Is it my taste? Hell no. Do I like him as a person? I don't know him but from what I have seen / heard / read I'd like nothing more than to punch him in his ovaries. But, I couldn't honestly dog his music, especially when it has sold as many copies as it has.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#7 » 17 Sep 2016, 09:50

As a reviewer I try to cover every aspect of the game I am reviewing. Think of it like filling a sphere, even with the largest value of pie, we won't get it perfect, we'll always miss something.

I view writing, music, and painting under the same category. It is subjected to personal view point. When it comes to the music score for Legion, if I felt Blizzard couldn't have done better I would've been more generous with my score. However I feel that music was almost a second though with them given the quality and diversity of the music that I've heard while playing Legion content so far. It felt to me they spent more time on the voice work/animation for certain quest givers than they did on the music.

I don't expect to hear music I love in World of Warcraft. With all seriousness if I wanted to listen to music I liked while playing a game I'd boot up GTA: Vice City. However I do expect some diversity, music to make me feel like I am a hero on an epic journey to help save the Alliance. I want to be able to hear a piece and know where I am in the Broken Island and not have to focus on it for that information. I want different pieces for different situations. Not just some trump/drums for completing a quest, and something so bland for the rest of the areas I can't tell zones apart.

Let's say for a moment I booted up the music from say Grizzly Hills. I am sure that within a few moments you could identify that music from that area of the game without having to look at the screen. Could you really tell me you could do that with the music found in Legion so far?

Hikari

Post#8 » 17 Sep 2016, 11:29

Packhunter wrote:Let's say for a moment I booted up the music from say Grizzly Hills. I am sure that within a few moments you could identify that music from that area of the game without having to look at the screen. Could you really tell me you could do that with the music found in Legion so far?

I want to preface my statement by saying that I agree with many of your observations on the expansion overall, Pack. But for me, how subjectively "good" music sounds - which in itself is subjective beyond analysis - depends on quality and relevance in ambiance to the zone its played in. In that regard, I feel that the composer and musicians behind Legion did an impressive job, not because the scores were original or sweepingly memorable, but because they felt so comfortable. You mention that Grizzly Hills contained some very memorable music that many players still weep nostalgic for, but I would counter with the argument that you can't really criticize Legion's soundtrack on unique memorability when that doesn't feel the primary objective. Take, for example, the music in Val'Sharah: It certainly doesn't win any awards on originality, but what it does accomplish spectacularly is recall my emotions back to the days of Vanilla yore, when I leveled a Night Elf Hunter named Xxlegalazx and took in the zone's sweeping strings and gentle humming vibe. Hell, Val'Sharah even uses the same melody from the music in Teldrassil!

Overall, I think if your metric for music quality is based on the impact of its originality, then I can sympathize with your less-than-stellar score, Pack. But in terms of overall quality, Legion definitely deserved higher than a 1.

Packhunter
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#9 » 22 Oct 2016, 07:09

Whoo-hoo! My review was marked as a Review of the Month for September 2016! :D

Besides a mark next to it and an amazon gift card, I don't get much else, but nice to see Gamefaqs.com staff saw it as a great review.:)

Pretolkos
Raid Leader - Admin
Raid Leader - Admin

Post#10 » 22 Oct 2016, 07:12

Congrats, Pack!

Sonick
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#11 » 22 Oct 2016, 12:23

Grats man!

Sinthetik

Post#12 » 22 Oct 2016, 19:44

I enjoyed the music a great deal. I am however one of those weirdos who plays with the music on and always have. Even during raids it just somehow adds something to the experience for me. I can remember back in bastion of twilight how exhilarating the score was during Sinestra, and when I first set foot into Icecrown Citadel, the score looking down that long hallway where Lord Marrowgar sat waiting. The music in Stormheim is especially reminiscent to me of Howling Fjord from wrath.

Skeletor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#13 » 23 Oct 2016, 00:29

good job buddy pack :)
--First to clock in and the last to leave--

skeletor#1513
http://www.twitch.tv/skellytheskull
--Stormrage--
-110 Skeletor Assassin / Outlaw
-100 Dràculà Destro / Affliction