WOW Hardware Guide.

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Lithiny

WOW Hardware Guide.

Post#1 » 06 Dec 2010, 18:52

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wor ... ,2793.html

These guys really did there homework and put about 20 grand worth of hardware through the paces to see what is really the best at playing wow. Enjoy

Aldafear

Re: WOW Hardware Guide.

Post#2 » 06 Dec 2010, 18:57

god with 20k i better be able to maim the person irl that im pvping against

Alrcari

Post#3 » 06 Dec 2010, 20:38

WOW only uses 2 cores by default. However youc an configure it to "quasi" use more cores. you have to manually edit your config.wtf and change the variable: SET processAffinityMask "3" (3 is the default meaning 2 cores) to the following values for respective processors:

i7 Qudcore with Ht- 85
Any Quadcore chips with no HT - 15
i5 Quadcore which does not have HT as far as I know - 15
i5 Dualcore with HT- 5
Dualcore with HT- 5
Dualcore without HT - 5
AMD tricore - 7

There used to be a blue post explaining the settings and how to calculate it for different cores. But the old forums got wiped.

I found this interesting bit of information in the comments. All of you quad core people might want to check into this further ;)

Teleri

Post#4 » 07 Dec 2010, 00:31

I cant find the thread in the new forums, but basically you dont have to set affinity mask anymore unless you want to force wow to use 3 or 2 cores for Quads. Wow will utilize all cores in CPU's. However I do set my affinity mask for 3 and then have vent and my browser (if wow is open) for 1.

Kickaha

Post#5 » 07 Dec 2010, 06:14

Something I posted back in february:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 2010
When I saw the tech support update in this patch,I thought id investigate it a bit more.
I allways thought WoW used a maximum of 2 cpu cores,but apperently thats just the default (if you have 2+)

The gist of of it seems to be that WOW only runs 2 very big threads + some smaller ones,depending on addon usage,so u may actually get improved performance by specifying more than 2 core usage.
amd cpus have single,dual.triple and quad physical cpu's
Intel cpu's have single,dual,and quad cpu's + i guess octo cpu's with hyperthreading i7
This mod which may or may not work for u can for example force an i7 to use 2 physical cores instead of just one physical core that splits due to hyperthreading.
You may need to experiment
I found I had to use the /console ig settings.
I tried "use 3 cpu's" ,the "use 4 cpu's" seems to be better,but I wont know for sure until i do a full 25 raid with combat logging enabled.
nb my system is intel quad core(not i7)

Its a long thread but worth reading
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=6
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part of the theory was that i7 tended to run WoW on 1 physical and one virtual core,instead of 2 physical.
i5 or gulftown 6 core wasnt out then.
Ill wait for sandybridge or maybe Patsburg at the end of 2011 ,ddr4, pcie 32 and all

Return to “Open Discussion”