pc or mac

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Zerstoerer

Re: pc or mac

Post#16 » 11 Aug 2011, 18:36

About 2 years ago I would have told you that if you don't mind shelling out about twice as much for the comparable PC and you aren't interested in going out of the box (or into the box) - i.e. power user, then go Mac if you prefer, because they were definitely better built and more stable.

However, both from reading industry mags and some limited experience with Apple products of late, I'm not sure that's true anymore - they seem to be cutting some corners and unless you just want something pretty to look at (they sure are that), I don't think the cost & proprietary design are worth it anymore.

Bottom line, any computer you buy is going to be pretty much obsolete in 2 years and completely worthless in 4. So don't buy for the long term, buy what you feel comfortable spending money on now and make sure you have warranty coverage for 2-3 years, when it's time to replace it anyway.

-Z

Bellarionna
Guild Master
Guild Master

Post#17 » 11 Aug 2011, 19:21

I've said it 100 times before

I dropped $300 on my Dell (weekend special), added a $25 power supply, a $35 video card and its now going on 2 and a half years strong.
-------- Stormrage - Alliance
Bellarionna - 110
Fiachro - 100
Lytheriah - 100
Barlick - 100
Kunjal - 100
Lyzebel - 100
Euphus - 100
Veylla - 100
Anatou - 100
Shalla - 100
Maevissa - 100
Kazgru - 98
Zadey (90) / Annabark (92) - Retired
-------- Bleeding Hollow - Horde
Selyndia - 90
Onetunn - 87

Darkrytez

Post#18 » 13 Aug 2011, 08:37

Bellarionna wrote:I've said it 100 times before

I dropped $300 on my Dell (weekend special), added a $25 power supply, a $35 video card and its now going on 2 and a half years strong.

Thats what i did bell. Went to dell and bought the one with the most memory at the cheapest price, which came out to like 498. Macs are way to damn expensive for what you get. Trust me I heard you say that a 100 times lol thats why it stuck in my head and I bought it lol. I like it so far, came with w7, everything preloaded, all I had to do was run the updates. Took me a minute but I figured it out. But I will say this in class we use macs and it seemed nice but very tedius. This pc just seems to "flow" right. If you understood that. lol

Irate

Post#19 » 24 Aug 2011, 17:23

Zerstoerer wrote:About 2 years ago I would have told you that if you don't mind shelling out about twice as much for the comparable PC and you aren't interested in going out of the box (or into the box) - i.e. power user, then go Mac if you prefer, because they were definitely better built and more stable.

However, both from reading industry mags and some limited experience with Apple products of late, I'm not sure that's true anymore - they seem to be cutting some corners and unless you just want something pretty to look at (they sure are that), I don't think the cost & proprietary design are worth it anymore.

Bottom line, any computer you buy is going to be pretty much obsolete in 2 years and completely worthless in 4. So don't buy for the long term, buy what you feel comfortable spending money on now and make sure you have warranty coverage for 2-3 years, when it's time to replace it anyway.

-Z

Most Mac users tout reliability as their main strength. But having built tons of computer, while also going to college for Graphic Design (and being forced to use Mac's). I can tell you, Apple sold out a long time ago, their old slow platforms had reliability on their side. But they just couldn't compete, they now all run on Intel processors, use DDR Ram, the only difference between an Mac and a PC is, a Mac you are paying to feel cool. Using brand new iMac's at my school that cost them a ton, I watched those things freeze all the time, get dust caught in the small air flow passages, and have cd roms with minds of their own. If you really enjoy a Mac, buy/build a PC, and install OS X on it, you will save a ton of money, a Mac is just that a PC with a different OS.

If you are worried about going obsolete (this is if you are a builder) you have to stage your upgrades with the future in mind. Like if you know a new processor lands that supports your old motherboard socket. You buy that processor, and later one when a new socket revision is coming, you upgrade to that so you can then fit the next gen processor. I usually leap frog my partsl ike that, though I got to admit, when taxes land it makes me all gidy to just rebuild my whole comp :p

Bellarionna wrote:I've said it 100 times before

Average WoW players :p 2008 I was running 3x ATI 3870's (think that was $600 in videocards alone, 2009 4870x2 ($525), 2010 2x 5850's ($500), 2011 1x 6950 ($300) this year is an off year :p. Sad thing is, WoW still runs like ass, through all of those videocard changes, part of the reason I hate the game, never optimized to run on top of the line hardware.

Return to “Open Discussion”