Tank threat changes.

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Darkrytez

Tank threat changes.

Post#1 » 17 Aug 2011, 10:50

Dev Watercooler -- Threat Level Midnight
Blizzard is going to make a couple of changes to threat, among other things:
•Hotfix: The threat generated by classes in their tanking mode has been increased from three times damage done to five times damage done.
•In an upcoming patch: Vengeance no longer ramps up slowly at the beginning of a fight. Instead, the first melee attack taken generates Vengeance equal to one third of the damage dealt by that attack. As Vengeance updates during the fight, it is always set to at least a third of the damage taken in the last two seconds. It still climbs from that point at the previous rate, still decays at the previous rate, and still cannot exceed the current maximum.

copied from mmo-champ

It seems they are making tanking much easier just cuz of the dungeon que time issue. Atleast with 3 fps steel needs to not worry about threat anymore. ( I swear if you had a better computer you would rocks the tps charts ) Anywho with that said it seems with this more tanks might actualy come out of the wood works. OR make people just want to tank more in general.

Nyxeos

Re: Tank threat changes.

Post#2 » 17 Aug 2011, 14:53

Or make the current tanks who see vengeance as a piss poor band-aid shake their heads in sadness.

Darkrytez

Post#3 » 17 Aug 2011, 15:32

There is more on mmo champ about it. But from what i am getting they are trying to make tanking and threat not an issue. Personally if they was going to do that they should just take threat out completely. Kinda farfetched to say that but in reality if they want to make the idiots capable of tanking they should. Make threat more dps oriented. Of course that would just make anyone able to tank ( in a sense ). Back to the point they seem to want tanking to be a lot easier. From what I can see from when I have tanked. It is kind of a pain to roll through c.d.'s while building threat. On fights that I have seen tank go splat and healers claim they took to much dmg first thing that is asked "Did you pop a c.d.?" Usually the answer was no everything was down. Truthfully I haven't seen that much but one in a blue moon I do. I know at the beginning of cata I ran in a 10 man guild and our tanks never had a threat issue. Our dk tank would actually go afk to get a drink and still we never pulled. Personally I do not see why threat is an issue. But then there comes gear. As the dps gets more gear the higher their threat is. With tanks not getting the sufficient hit/expertise that makes it worse. I know a lot of tanks say nah you dont need hit. But from my own experience (yes doing this in a raid) I have noticed a HUGE difference with my threat compared to those with damn near no hit. Its kinda like a dps running in there without the proper hit. Your dps is lacking cuz of it. Emagine if you had hit cap. Threat truthfully would not be an issue. I state all this cuz I personally am sick and tired of hearing people or being yelled at for pulling threat. Now this hasnt been an issue in a while but the whole thread is about threat in general. If they dont want tanks to have that much hit they should go back to (for instance) percision or a hit talent. I remember in tbc most tanks had that and didnt have to rely on hit as much. Of course mechanics were sooooo much different. My main point is this (not knocking on any tanks so dont take this wrong) if you had the hit cap and atleast 26 expertise would oyu have a threat issue? You can say oh we wouldnt have enough midigation. well I say this look at an enh shammy or a rogue. their stats are so jacked up. Having to have so much hit and be exp cap to do good enough dps. Its the same concept. Would you take a dps into raid that isnt hit/exp cap?
DO NOT TAKE THIS POST WRONG OR THAT IM ATTACKING ANYONE CUZ IM NOT. its mostly to make people think.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#4 » 17 Aug 2011, 17:43

Tanking WAS much easier in WotLK.... they vowed to make it more "engaging" for the tanks in Cata. QQ ensued about it, and all we heard throughout dungeons (and raids) for the first 4 months is "This isnt WoTLK any more! I cant build threat like I used to, stupid DPS." And now Blizzard is making it easier again.

The circle of lilfe.

IMO, good tanks will always have good threat, and mediocre tanks will always have mediocre threat. The mechanic changes are side dishes.
The Champ Is Here.

Darkrytez

Post#5 » 17 Aug 2011, 19:22

I agree I guess that is just me ranting/raging lol. But all in all I have to say this could be intresting. This takes the excuse you hear on most tanks about threat. If we pull I will say they suck plain and simple. Now if the dps opens up before the tank even touches the boss thats different lol.

Steelwarlord

Post#6 » 18 Aug 2011, 00:37

I hate seeing pyroblasts and such flying at my target as I pull them, very annoying. In any event I'll keep hitting my keyboard and trying to hold threat on me. didn't see a issue on Riplimb this week so either the ranged was holding back, or the threat change helped.

Darkrytez

Post#7 » 19 Aug 2011, 11:07

I dont think the change has come into play yet

Nyxeos

Post#8 » 20 Aug 2011, 15:22

Darkrytez wrote:I dont think the change has come into play yet

My 80k sustained TPS disagrees with you, and it would seem than Omen stops tracking threat when you hit 20mil....... Such a bad change. QQ

EDIT:

It does however let your dps go buck wild on the pull without having to use Arcane Mage's to boost your threat.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#9 » 20 Aug 2011, 18:19

Steelwarlord wrote:I hate seeing pyroblasts and such flying at my target as I pull them, very annoying. In any event I'll keep hitting my keyboard and trying to hold threat on me. didn't see a issue on Riplimb this week so either the ranged was holding back, or the threat change helped.

We havent had a fire mage since BoT, for these "pyroblasts" you claim to see. And Riplimb isn't a DPS target until at least 4 minutes into the fight when Rageface drops.

More realisitcally, it is DPS simply assuming that 1-2 hits from the tank is enough threat... when for some tanks, it is closer to 3-5. Is that a tank issue, or a DPS issue? Depends on the scenario.
The Champ Is Here.

Darkrytez

Post#10 » 20 Aug 2011, 18:37

It might have change then lol i stand corrected.

Elvinna

Post#11 » 17 Sep 2011, 20:33

Nice post Darkrytez,

Yeah I did za tanking a while back and I got in my group full t12 mage who was doing 35k dps in 5 man. It'd be ok if he'd do that dps after I taunted a mob and if I'd build up agro but he decided to pyroblast it to pull it and I could NOT taunt it off her/him. I used Growl (taunt) on bears and the mob turned to me for 1 sec then back to mage. Then I have taunt on cd for 8 sec. The mage died and blamed me.

People expect tanks who are geared in za/zg gear to hold threat against people who are tire higher. I have no problem tanking and holding threat in bwd/bot but when I get a mage who pulls with Pyroblast it's a bad situation all around. I am glad they are fixing it

Return to “Open Discussion”