Ludicrous stats ahead

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Zerstoerer

Ludicrous stats ahead

Post#1 » 04 Nov 2011, 17:23

This is one of the best reads I've seen come out of Blizz in a long time. I've become pretty cynical about where the game is headed of late, but this actually makes it seem like someone is thinking ahead more than surface deep and past next Tuesday.

I'll just quote the intro here, head to the link for the full monty... http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2541-The-Great-Item-Squish-(or-Not)-of-Pandaria

Big Number Syndrome
Hey, our stats are growing exponentially. If you look at everything from the Strength on a weapon to the damage being done by a Fireball crit or the amount of health the Morchok boss has, they look downright absurd compared to the numbers for level 60 characters in the original shipping version of World of Warcraft. It’s not exactly a surprise that we were going to end up here, and we knew where we were going every step of the way, yet regardless, here we are.

Fig. 1. Item level vs. character level. Brown = vanilla. Green = BC. Blue = LK. Red = Cat.

The numbers grew so much primarily because we wanted rewards to be compelling. Upgrading from a chestpiece that has 50 Strength into one that has 51 Strength is undeniably a DPS increase for the appropriate user, but it’s not a very exciting reward. Such negligible increases can drive players to do some weird things, such as skipping over tiers of gear or entire levels of content. This is particularly relevant when we’re talking about a new expansion. We don’t want level-85 players to have a reasonable shot at level-90 dungeons and raids (or PvP opponents) just because that content is balanced for gear that isn’t much better than what the level-85 players have.

So we arrived at this point in a logical fashion, and we don’t really think we should have handled things any differently. However, it’s still a weird place to be, and it’s about to get weirder.

Ninjapaws

Re: Ludicrous stats ahead

Post#2 » 07 Nov 2011, 07:34

cant wait to get my gun with 15000 agility on it....no srsly tho they should of just stuck with small stat numbers. and every expansion increased the requirements just enough that it gives the old gear no chance of clearing the current content with said gear. they did not have to increase 120 <stat> between level content and only increased tiers by i dont know 30 or 40 <stat>. would of made a tiny more sense and made the gear look less rediclous.

Return to “Open Discussion”