Elder Scrolls Online

Kyliaar

Elder Scrolls Online

Post#1 » 10 Jul 2013, 15:21

Got a beta invite for this upcoming weekend. So looking forward to playing this game and seeing if it can be what SW:tOR was supposed to be.

Nyonjia

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post#2 » 10 Jul 2013, 18:28

I'm still so fuck'n pissed at EA for killing swtor that I'm actually rooting against ESO. >_>

I know that's bitter of me, but it's just how it is.

Raconlok

Post#3 » 10 Jul 2013, 19:49

Just curious at the relation - Zenimax is publishing ESO right? As far as I can tell they aren't any part of the EA hegemony of doom ...

Darkrytez

Post#4 » 10 Jul 2013, 20:01

ya im pretty sure EA has nothing to do with ESO. SWTOR is not ran by EA anymore either. Disney bought the rights to star wars. But I have to say I watched the video on the gameplay in ESO and im not to impressed. Then again I have yet to play it

Nyonjia

Post#5 » 10 Jul 2013, 22:54

No EA and Disney worked out a deal. So all star wars games will be made by EA.

also appears you are right about ESO. I'll now conditionally check it out more. :)

the one video I watched seemed odd on how they handled end game.

Kyliaar

Post#6 » 14 Jul 2013, 03:14

The few hours I spent on the game were fun.

One thing I noted that wasn't apparent to me before is that was being developed for launch on console as well as PC. This was a major downer for me because the MMOs I've enjoyed the most would not be playable in a console environment.

Some further reflection on that thought really started to show me there are subcategories of games that fall in the mmorpg or related areas and you can easily see which ones are designed to include console players (easily) and which are not.

Take games like WoW and SW:tOR. By end game, your character has so many abilities that a large part of what determines a player's apparent skill is UI set up, key bindings, controller hardware, etc. Basically, anything and everything that will give the player easy access to all of their critical tools without hesitation. WoW takes this much further than SW:tOR did with mods.

Now, there are other games that put the emphasis much more on each individual players ability to be twitchy with the right subset of commands they can have in active play. Diablo, while not being very MMO, is an example of a game that does this. This makes the game playable on a console by limiting the needed key bindings to what you find on a keypad. MMOs that I've seen do this are Guild Wars 2, DCUO and ESO. The latter two have/will have console versions.

In Guild Wars 2 and DCUO, a lot of your abilities are tied to your weapon. You change to a different weapon type, you have sufficiently altered what your optimum play style will be. You will have extra slots open to you for other character abilities but these are kept to a limited number.

ESO promises a character building model that allows you to level all kinds of weapon skills, class skills (think ability trees like Borderlands), armor skills, etc. Basically, within your character class, you can level up to a point where you have decent abilities to swap out into a different role by what abilities you put on your hot bar (7 or 8 slots) or you can just focus on maxing out one role. However, even if you max out one role, they saw you just need to play more before everything is available to you.

It is really too early for me to tell what this game will become but the beta was fairly high quality for something this early. It looked like Skyrim but played like an MMO, e.g. graphics and textures done well for an MMO. I can't really expect it to pull many from the WoW crowd because it is a different style of game targetted at different audiences.

WoW is a PC game and is designed from the bottom up to utilize what is available in a desktop environment. Blizzard and the mod community have risen to this to really make the WoW experience what it is. I don't think such a game designed to be playable on a console would be able to compete in the elistist market of mostly PC gamers.

However, that doesn't mean there are tons of players that would want a more action oriented, lighter on the theorycrafting, MMO experience where they could get together with some buds or random players and blitz out some content. People who have never played anything past LFR or favor games like Diablo III might find something like this an uplifting and charming experience.

Return to “Elder Scrolls Online”