(FINISHED) Cremate's New Computer Build Log

Open discussions about anything! Let's keep it Rated R (or better)!
Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

(FINISHED) Cremate's New Computer Build Log

Post#1 » 28 Mar 2013, 12:54

Check out the final product!

Cremate's New Computer

As many of you know, I have long-awaited the building of my new computer. After neurotically researching everything from Cuda Cores, to Hyper Transfer rates, to -dBa levels, to 12v rail designs... then deciding, and re-deciding on every component piece down to the anti-kink coils on the AIO water cooler tubes... I have good news.

Pieces have started to arrive!

So I figured I would put up a thread to keep you guys updated on the build progress. I'm ONLY going to put up the pieces that I've recieved so far... and as I get more... feel free to comment. When I do get all of my parts (some time in the next week) I will put up pictures of the build before-during-after as well. Cross your fingers nothing arrives DOA!

Pieces I have actually recieved so far...

Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-ew

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X Evo R2 ATX AM3+

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHZ (4.2 Turbo) Unlocked

Monitor: Acer 27" Full HD LED Monitor

Cosmetic Shits:

UV Blue Water Cooler Tubing Anti-Kink Coils

UV Blue PCI-E and DIMM Slot Covers

UV Light

UV Reactive PSU Extension Cables

Considering these are the items I have actually received already, I know it may seem wierd that I got things like the Cosmetic items before things like the PSU or GPU. But there are still pieces I am debating between... so I am ordering the ones that I have decided on as I go. That allows me to narrow down my scope. Anyways, stay tuned... as more pieces arrive, I'll keep this thread updated!!

UPDATE!!!

Most of my components (minus a few fans and extensions) arrived a day early! So I'm going to start my build tonite! Below is what my assembly table looks like. I couldnt wait to see my GPU, so I unboxxed it in the car, and left the box, lol. Thats a MSI Power Edition GTX 670 -- unlocked, triple voltage, factory overclocked.... (performs better than a reference 680).

The Champ Is Here.

Bacontime

Re: Cremate's New Computer Build Log

Post#2 » 30 Mar 2013, 07:33

reddit.com/r/buildapc

I'm looking into upgrading from my laptop, though I've never built one from scratch. Let us know how your process goes! Would love to hear your tips and experiences from this one.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#3 » 03 Apr 2013, 23:33

Updated!

ZOMG, the excitement!
The Champ Is Here.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#4 » 04 Apr 2013, 04:17

4:00am and I still have a long way to go. May not finish tonite. Bout half way done... still need to install HDD, GPU, SDD, Optical Drive, Fans, front port connectors... and connect everything to the PSU. I'm pretty worried about the final moment when I go to turn it on for the first time. I made some rookie-first-timer mistakes that I hope dont come back to bite me in the end. Installing the waterblock from the water cooler, onto the CPU was a mess. It kept popping off, twisting, etc... and I had to use quite a bit of force to get it on. The CPU was smudged with uneven thermal paste, and it was an ugly site. Im hoping I dont have issues with it now. Also, as you can see in the photo, my water cooling tubes are pressing against one of my DDR sticks... with a decent amount of pressure. Worried about that. Sigh.

The Champ Is Here.

Guysupguy

Post#5 » 04 Apr 2013, 10:22

Dude I have the same issue with the water cooler. Corsair increased the tube size to 3/8 and its a problem for most first time builds. Just remove the memory from that slot. Depending which tube is resting against the Ram will determine an issue if any. I just went through a nightmare with the H80 and had to send it back. I am getting the H80i in its place. The molex connector was garbage. Thank god for the SATA connection on the upgraded CPU cooler.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#6 » 05 Apr 2013, 22:57

FML... just mounted all my fans backwards.
The Champ Is Here.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#7 » 06 Apr 2013, 04:34

OK, the computer is officially complete. Most of it was done yesterday, but I was waiting on some final pieces (fans, extensions, etc...) to get here from frozencpu.com. But tonite I installed all my fans (albeit backwards at first), worked out and zip-tied my cable management around the backside, installed the bay converter intake, and finalized my aesthetics.

It

Looks

Amazing.

I'm absolutely shocked and a bit proud of myself. Three months ago I wouldn't even have been able to point out the CPU on a motherboard. So to go from a complete noob, to fully assembling an all bells-and-whistles, water cooled, modded, top of the line gaming rig, from scratch by myself... I'm pretty stoked.

Anyways, I will post a pic or video of the finished rig tomorrow. I need sleep.
The Champ Is Here.

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#8 » 06 Apr 2013, 22:27

Check out the final product!

Cremate's New Computer
The Champ Is Here.

Pippilongear

Re: (FINISHED) Cremate's New Computer Build Log

Post#9 » 07 Apr 2013, 21:23

Grats Creamy - looks great!

-PP

Tiziana
Guild Member
Guild Member

Post#10 » 07 Apr 2013, 22:48

great job Creamy - grats man!

Ffran
Guild Friend
Guild Friend

Post#11 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:51

yah look awesome! Gratz!

Zelashi

Post#12 » 17 Apr 2013, 21:19

lol amd

Cremate
Visitor
Visitor

Post#13 » 17 Apr 2013, 21:45

Zelashi wrote:lol amd

I would laugh too if my Intel machine was demolished in performance by an AMD. Glad I could brighten your day.
The Champ Is Here.

Dotmatrics

Post#14 » 18 Apr 2013, 22:41

Cremate wrote:I made some rookie-first-timer mistakes that I hope dont come back to bite me in the end. Installing the waterblock from the water cooler, onto the CPU was a mess. It kept popping off, twisting, etc... and I had to use quite a bit of force to get it on. The CPU was smudged with uneven thermal paste, and it was an ugly site. Im hoping I dont have issues with it now. Also, as you can see in the photo, my water cooling tubes are pressing against one of my DDR sticks... with a decent amount of pressure. Worried about that. Sigh.

Waterblocks do require some force, the thermal paste is only a micrometer thick heat transfer paste, the more that is globbed on, the more it insulates the processor instead of transfers heat from the processor. The force and vibration of it running will typically work it to the proper thickness so long as it covers the surface area of the chip. Having similar issues with tubes, most blocks will allow you to change the orientation of the block to direct the supply and return ports a different direction. Pressure on the memory stick can have adverse affects, one being socket damage from the constant applied pressure. It could get as bad as rendering that slot useless, or perhaps cause a short on the bus. All in all, I'm proud of you Creamy. You did your homework and put together a terrific rig.

Return to “Open Discussion”